How to Jump-Start a Car
If you’re having trouble trying to start your vehicle, you may need a jump-start, car battery service, or a similar service. The service experts at Mercedes-Benz of Modesto created a handy guide on how to properly jump-start a car, so you don’t have to call a jump-start car service. If you feel your battery is near the end of its life, visit our service center near Merced for a replacement.
What is the Proper Way to Jump-Start a Car?
If you don’t plan on using a jump-start car service like AAA, make sure you have a set of jumper cables and another vehicle before getting started. Then, follow the steps below:
- The car with the good battery park should face the other vehicle, then make sure that the vehicle is turned off and both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. Be sure that they are clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on your car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, go ahead and start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once you have jump-started the dead battery, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were placed on, then turn off the vehicle that was used to help jump-start the dead car.
- Keep the engine running on the restarted vehicle for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the weak battery doesn’t die again right away. Refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual for more info on the recommended times.
Additional Battery Tips and Tricks
If the car won’t jump-start, it probably needs a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Take these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- If you try and start the car but only hear a clicking sound, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Mercedes-Benz of Modesto near Stockton for a replacement.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, it could be several things. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. It’s worth bringing your vehicle to a service center so they can diagnose the issue.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Trust Mercedes-Benz of Modesto for Quality Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or a routine oil change, we can help. Our service center is located just a short trip from Turlock, so stop by today or contact us with any questions.
More from Mercedes-Benz of Modesto
Are you looking for a sleek electric vehicle that provides comfort and thrill? Check out one of Mercedes-Benz’s newest electric vehicles! This brand new 2022 EQS is an electric vehicle that combines efficiency with luxury, and it’s becoming a popular choice amongst Merced drivers. Since you’ll spend the majority of your time interacting with the…
Soaring gas prices have nearly all of us thinking about gas mileage. If you’re looking to make fewer stops at Modesto gas stations, you’ll be glad to know that the 2022 Mercedes-Benz A-Class gas mileage reaches an EPA-estimated 35 miles per gallon on the highway*. Let’s take a closer look at the details regarding…
When you have an interest in green energy and you’re looking to upgrade your ride, we have you covered with the 2022 EQS for sale at Mercedes-Benz of Modesto. Learn about the EQS price in the USA, then explore our virtual inventory to find the configuration that’s best suited for taking on your Merced drives. It’s…